Kefir is one of the very important source of probiotic. Read on to find out more about kefir and how you can D.I.Y. 自制”克非尔” 中文版 在【这里】
(pictures taken from Dom’s)
Kefir is a unique fermented food which is rich in enzymes. The medium of culture used is commonly dairy milk even though nut milk or coconut milk are being used. Kefir is filled with friendly micro-organisms that balances your digestive system. In addition to beneficial bacteria, yeast and enzymes, Kefir is an excellent source of complete protein, essential minerals, lactic acid, valuable B vitamins (B2, B12), Vitamin K, A, D and Tryptophan.
Kefir is similar to a drinkable yogurt except it is more therapeutic than yogurt.
Brewing “real” Kefir can be done at home. It is very easy and economical. This is one health product that commercialism fails to get a handle on. You need the following common household utensils to start the brewing process,
1. Glass bottles or mason jars (slightly bigger than the volume of kefir you wish to brew) – 1 bottle for brewing and 1 for storing the strained Kefir
2. Nylon strainer (with bigger mesh for ease of straining)
3. Plastic or porcelain soup spoon
4. Plastic or wooden chopstick (for stirring)
5. Handkerchief or cloth to cover the bottle
6. Fresh milk and Kefir Grains (1 tablespoon of grains to 1 cup of milk)
7. Small amount of Common Sense
– Add the right amount of Kefir grains and fresh milk into a clean bottle.
– Cover with the handkerchief and secure with a rubber band.
– Let the mixture sits on your kitchen counter (away from direct sunlight or any hot surface) for 18 to 24 hours.
– The milk will turn sour with curd and whey (clear yellowish liquid) indicating that it is ready for harvest.
– Stir to mix the curd and whey before straining. Strain the ready Kefir with the nylon strainer into a glass bottle and store in the fridge.
– It’s ready for consumption.
– Transfer the strained Kefir Grains back into the glass bottle, add fresh milk to make a new batch and the process repeats. Very simple.
Due to the hot climatic condition in the Tropics, you may find that the curd and whey separates a lot faster than 18 hrs. Taste it to establish your right timing for harvest. Each individual has different preference so it is entirely up to you. One caution though, kefir brewed less than 12 hrs is known to have a mild laxative effect and kefir brewed more than 48 hrs may cause constipation.
Home brewed real Kefir is one of the most powerful probiotic that can be delivered to your intestines, both small and large, no matter what commercial corporations may say.
I grew up having to fight the ill effect of antibiotic left in my body for years. My immune system lacked the ability to fight any weakest, tiniest bad bacteria that crossed my path, for many years. I developed resistance to many strains of antibiotics up to a point that I was put on 2-3 courses of antibiotics in a month.
My doctor looked at me shaking his head, asking me what should he do and I looked at him, did not know what to do with my head, to shake or nod….after all, I came to him for help and not anything else. Then, I knew I had to take my health to my own hands. I researched and took a drastic change in my daily diet. I turned to raw vegetables and fruits through a juicing program, avoiding processed and cooked food. I consumed probiotic supplements, and made yogurt regularly with the capsules. When my body received ample enzymes and the right type of nutrients, the healthy microflora within my guts start to flourish. And now, antibiotic is a thing of the past. Not only me, my family benefited from that change.
The best thing is, I no longer need to spend on probiotic supplements now because I have Kefir. I am free from any synthetic vitamins, pharmaceutical supplements or any unnecessary medication. I am back to the basic of nature, letting my body does her job with minimal interference.
There is difference between Kefir and Yogurt though both are cultured milk products.
See this link [here] if you are interested to find out the difference.
Some essential reading:
other interesting link:
The Great Yogurt (and Kefir) Conspiracy – Healing Crow
If you want to have some kefir grains for DIY, write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address.
We are based in Kuala Lumpur and would be happy to send you the live kefir grains if you are anywhere from Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia or Philippines.
Shipping and handling charges applies. The amount collected will be channeled to fund charitable projects.