自制酸奶 D.I.Y. Yogurt （优格乳）
13. 完成的酸奶可直接享用，也可加入果汁。 （13. The yogurt can be served plain or you can add some fruit juice or jam if you wish.)
1. Use pasteurized fresh milk. If you want to use raw milk, you have to make sure you MUST perform step 2,3 & 4 to sterilize the milk completely. It is safer to use the fresh milk from supermarket because it has been pasteurized.
2. Full cream milk, UHT milk, high calsium milk, low fat milk or milk with fruits favor are NOT recommended.
3. Make sure all of your containers and tools are clean (no dirt and oil) and dry under sunlight before use.
4. Take special care on the hygiene issue after step 4 ,as you do not want contaminate the milk after you have sterilized it.
5. Make sure the milk is cool below 40C before you perform step 6 because high temperature will kill all the good organisms in the plain yoghurt. Also use plain yoghurt for this purpose, the use of low fat yogurt, high calcium, low sugar or yogurt with fruits favor are NOT recommended.
6. The finished product may contain some clear liquid separated from the solidify yogurt, DO NOT pour the liquid away, these liquid are nutritious by-product, you can stir & mix the whole thing together with a clean spoon before you consume.
Factors affecting the “watery/solidity” of the homemade yogurt :
(1) The duration of the fermentation process—The longer you leave your yogurt to ferment, your yogurt will turn into more solid form.
(2)The amount of yogurt you put in (step 6) — The more the bacteria, the faster the fermentation process will take place hence your yogurt will be more solid. BTW, certain type of bacteria ferment faster than others do. If you do not like the way your bacteria ferment or if you do not like the texture of the yogurt, change the seed (yogurt brand)
(3) The temperature — The bacteria will ferment faster in suitable temperature, if you put your yogurt to ferment in room temperature (Malaysia at night 25C-27C ) it will take slightly longer time.
What you need to do is to try and error and strike a balance between these 3 factors to obtain the type of yogurt of your like.
Also, some of the yogurt you make may leak whey (the watery substance) , do not pour away as these are very nutritious, Mix it back to your yogurt before you consume. Some large dairy companies rely on a faster process to produce more yogurt, but use thickeners to reduce the degree of whey leakage, try to avoid those commercial yogurt when aver possible.
Lastly, no matter how your yogurt looks like, it is as nutritious as any other yogurt in the market because It has your LOVE inside, it is the best gift for your love one and I am not joking.